All about the home stance
All movement starts with stillness, and standing in what I call the home position.
Becoming comfortable at home, both in nuance and feel of the stance makes is easier to know when you are fully at home and centered.
The home stance is a great stillness meditation stance, commonly known as Wuji in Tai Chi and Qigong.
Things to think about:
- chin down and slightly in, crown of head held high
- feet hip socket width apart, toes straight ahead or slightly turned out
- relaxed joints, and body tissue, from the crown of the head to the toes
- release all tension, then add in only what you need to hold steady
- elbows slightly flared
- tailbone sinks as the crown rises
- soft hands, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles
- gentle breathing, using diaphragmatic, belly, or baby's breathing if you know it
- slightly expand on inhale, sink back on exhale